Oct. 13, 2012
SAN JOSE, Calif. -
UTAH STATE FOOTBALL POST-GAME NOTES vs. San Jose State (10/13/12)TEAM NOTES
· Utah State's 49 points are a season-high and the most since winning at Idaho, 49-42, in double overtime in 2011. The 22-point margin of victory is USU's largest on the road since winning at North Texas by 27 points (34-7) on Nov. 27, 1999.
· Utah State is 5-2 to start a season for the first time since 1982 and won its WAC opener for just the second time in its eight years in the league. Overall, USU is now 2-6 in WAC openers including a 1-3 record on the road. All-time, USU is now 28-25-3 in conference openers including a 11-13-3 road record.
· Utah State is 10-3 in its last 13 games, which is its best stretch since the 1972-73 teams won 10 of 13 games.
· Utah State has won six straight WAC games which is its longest conference winning streak since the 1999 and 2000 teams combined to win six-straight Big West games. USU has also won its last four WAC road games.
· Utah State has now won each of its last four games against San Jose State, which is tied for the longest USU winning streak in series history along with the four-straight wins from 1962-66.
· Utah State has now won five of its last seven road games and improved to 7-16 on the road under head coach Gary Andersen.
· Utah State improved to 12-10 following a loss under Andersen and has lost back-to-back games just twice in its last 20 contests.
· Utah State's 212 rushing yards mark the third time this year USU has rushed for at least 200 yards in a game.
· Utah State's 485 yards of total offense are its third-most of the season.
· Utah State's five penalties are tied for its season-low along with five at Colorado State.
· Utah State's 13-play scoring drive in the first quarter is tied for its second-longest in terms of plays this year and the fifth drive of at least 10 plays this season.
· Utah State was 1-for-1 on fourth down and improved to 3-of-6 on fourth down this year.
· Utah State had not allowed any first quarter points this year before San Jose State scored a field goal on its opening drive of the game. On the season, USU has outscored its opponents 68-3 in the first quarter this year and 116-42 in the first half this season.
· The 20 first-half points scored by San Jose State are the most by a Utah State opponent this season. In fact, USU hadn't allowed more than 20 points in any of its first six games of the year. The last team to score 20 first-half points against USU was San Jose State during the 2011 season with 20 first-half points in that game as well.
· The 27 points allowed by Utah State are its most since in its last 11 games when Idaho scored 42 points.
· Utah State scored touchdowns on its first four possessions of the game for the first time since Nov. 29, 2009 at Idaho when USU scored touchdowns on its first four drives, followed by a field goal on its fifth drive.
· The 28 first-half points for Utah State are its most since scoring 42 first-half points against Wyoming in 2011.
· Utah State held San Jose State to four net rushing yards, which ranks tied for the 14th-best single game performance in school history.
· San Jose State's 467 passing yards are the most allowed by Utah State since Hawaii threw for 486 yards in 2006. The 471 yards of total offense are also the most allowed by USU since Nevada had 500 yards of total offense in 2011.