Dec. 27, 2013
SAN DIEGO, Calif. -
* Utah State has now won back-to-back bowl games for the first time in school history with its 21-14win against Northern Illinois in the Poinsettia Bowl this year, and a 41-15 win against Toledo in the Famous Idaho Potato Bowl last year.
* Utah State improved to 3-6 all-time in bowl games, including a 3-1 against the Mid-American Conference.
* Utah State's nine wins in 2013 are tied with the 1960 and 1961 teams for the second-most in school history, trailing only the 2012 team who set the school record with 11 wins.
* Utah State head coach Matt Wells set the single-season school record for wins by a first year head coach with nine, bettering Tony Knap's eight wins in 1963.
* Utah State's senior class recorded its 31st win to extend its own school record as USU has now won 25 of its last 33 games overall.
* Utah State improves to 3-51i all-time against Associate Press ranked teams with the win against No. 24 Northern Illinois. Prior to today, the Aggies last win against an AP ranked team was a 48-41 overtime win at Louisiana Tech on Nov. 17, 2011. USU's other win against an AP ranked team was a 20-19 win against Fresno State on Nov. 2, 1991.
* The Aggies' 16-play, 80-yard drive that lasted 7:19 in the fourth quarter was USU's second-longest drive of the season for both plays and time behind a 17-play, 88-yard drive that last 8:44 against San Jose State on Sept. 27.
* Utah State two-point conversion was the second attempted this season and first converted with Garretson's completion to Bruce Natson.
* Utah State's defense has allowed just 13 points following 16 turnovers this year, including zero points tonight on two turnovers.
* Utah State has now intercepted 17 passes in its last 10 games after not intercepting a single pass in its first four games of the year. Those 17 interceptions for USU are its most since intercepting 19 passes in 1994.
* Utah State is now18-2 in its last 20 games when tied or leading at the end of the first quarter, and improved to 2-5 during its last 29 games when trailing at the half.
* Utah State has held five opponents this year and 15 opponents over the last two years scoreless in the first quarter.
* Utah State has now held eight opponents this season and 24 of its last 30 opponents without a first quarter touchdown, including each of its last four opponents.
* Utah State allowed just its ninth rushing touchdown of the season in the second quarter.
* Northern Illinois' 15-play scoring drive in the second quarter is tied for the longest against Utah State this year as San Jose State and UNLV both had 15 play drives against USU.
* Junior S Brian Suite intercepted his fifth pass of the season and sixth of his career. Suite also has 10 tackles in the game for his second double-digit tackle game of the season and the third of his career. Suite also recovered his second fumble of the season and his career.
* Sophomore WR Brandon Swindall caught his sixth touchdown pass of the season and his career.
* Freshman QB Darell Garretson threw his 10th touchdown pass of the season and improved to 6-1 all-time as a starting quarterback.
* Senior RB Joey DeMartino recorded his seventh 100-yard rushing game this year and of his career, including his fifth in his last seven games.
* Senior RB Joey DeMartino recorded his 13th rushing touchdown of the season to tie Robert Turbin (2009), Emmett White (2000, 2001) and Tom Larscheid (1960) for ninth-place at USU for a single-season.
* Senior RB Joey DeMartino finishes his career with 1,378 rushing yards to rank 16th all-time in school history as he moved ahead of Demetrius Brown (1,252) and Michael Smith (1,313). This year, DeMartino rushed for 1,221 yards to rank 12th all-time at USU for a single-season.
* Senior RB Joey DeMartino's 58 yard first quarter run is a Poinsettia Bowl record for longest rush from scrimmage.
* Senior WR Travis Van Leeuwen has two receptions for 23 yards and he ends his career with 95 receptions for 1,189 receiving yards to move ahead of Fred Fernandes (1,172), Travis Reynolds (1,176) and Mike Lee (1,181) and into 24th-place on USU's career receiving yards list.
* Senior LB Jake Doughty had eight tackles to give him 305 tackles in his career, ranking tied for 15th all-time in school history with Robert Watts (2001-04). This year, Doughty finished with 148 tackles to rank fifth all-time at USU for a single-season. Doughty also forced his second fumble this year and of his career.
* Freshman LB Nick Vigil recorded 1.5 sacks to give him 5.5 sacks on the season.
* Junior DE B.J. Larsen recorded 0.5 sacks to give him 4.0 sacks this year and 8.0 in his career.
* Junior PK Nick Diaz's 39-yard field goal in the second quarter is tied for the longest field goal in Poinsettia Bowl history.
* Junior PK Nick Diaz is 2-for-2 on field goals tonight and is now 17-of-23 on field goals this year, including 5-of-7 from 30-39 yards. In his career, Diaz is now 27-of-36 on field goals, including 10-of-12 from 30-39 yards.
* Junior PK Nick Diaz now ranks seventh all-time in school history with 27 made field goals. Diaz also ranks eighth all-time in school history with his 36 career field goal attempts.
* Junior PK Nick Diaz ranks fifth for field goals made in a season with 17, and seventh in single-season field goal attempts with 23.
* Junior P Jaron Bentrude recorded his 13th punt inside the 10 this year and now has 31 punts downed inside the 20 on the season with his two tonight. His 59 yard punt in the first quarter was also his sixth punt of 50 yards this year.
* Freshman PK Jake Thomson is now 1-of-3 on the season on field goal attempts, all of which have been from at least 50 yards.
Utah State’s Jalen...
Utah State cornerback Jalen Davis was one of 25 players tabbed to ESPN’s midseason All-Amer...10/10/2017
Aggies Host Mountain West...10/09/2017
Transcript: Utah State...
Utah State head football coach Matt Wells, along with junior punter Aaron Dalton and sophomore...10/09/2017
Utah State’s DJ...
Utah State football player DJ Nelson was named the America First Credit Union USU Student-Athlete...10/09/2017
Utah State’s DJ...
Utah State’s DJ Nelson has been named the Mountain West Special Teams Player of the Week,...10/09/2017
Aggies in the NFL - Week 5
Fifteen former Aggies are on active NFL rosters. See how they did in week five.10/09/2017
Utah State Leads the...
Through the first six weeks of the college football season, Utah State’s defense has forced...10/08/2017
Utah State Loses Mountain...
Utah State linebacker Suli Tamaivena and boundary safety Gaje Ferguson combined for 27 tackles,...10/07/2017
Official Aggie Gear