Nov. 5, 2000
LOGAN, Utah -
UTAH STATE'S EMMETT WHITE HAS NCAA RECORD SETTING DAY Junior Running Back Shatters NCAA Single-Game All-Purpose Record
Utah State junior running back Emmett White established an NCAA record for all-purpose yardage in a single game with 578 yards against New Mexico State on Saturday, Nov. 4, 2000. Here is a look at White and his record-setting day and where he ranks statistically in the NCAA and in the record books.
* NCAA record for single-game all-purpose yards (578), shattering the old mark of 435 yards by Brian Pruitt of Central Michigan against Toledo in 1994 by 143 yards.
NCAA All-Purpose Single-Game Highs 1. 578, EMMETT WHITE vs. New Mexico St., 2000 2. 435, Brian Pruitt, Central Michigan vs. Toledo, 1994 3. 429, Moe Williams, Kentucky vs. S. Carolina, 1999
White's Day In Chronological Order (R=Rush, P=Pass Reception, K=Kickoff Return, PR=Punt Ret., *=First Down, TD=Touchdown, /=end of possession)
1st Quarter R21*, P15*, R13*, P22*/K30, R12*, R16*, R5*, R6* (TD)/P10*, R8/ 2nd Quarter K45, R-3/R29*, R9, R8*, R18, R10*, R5/R3, P7*, P17*/ 3rd Quarter K13/K32, P11*, R-1, R1/PR2, R43*, R17*, R5, R3 (TD)/ 4th Quarter R4, R-2, R42* (TD)/R0/R10*, R17*, R5, R3, R2*, R4, R4/P52*/R9 (TD)
Breakdown Rushing 34-322, 4 TD Receiving 7-134 Kickoff Returns 4-120 Punt Returns 1-2 Totals 46-578, 4 TD
* 41 plays from scrimmage * 22 First Downs * 4 Touchdowns * 12 runs of 10-plus yards, including four 20-plus * Six receptions of 10-plus yards, including two 20-plus
"I am running out of adjectives to describe this kid. He does the type of things that amaze you and leave you with your mouth open. He has a great attitude and it carries onto the team. It was really neat to be a part of him breaking the all-purpose yardage record." -- Utah State Head Coach Mick Dennehy.
* Set a Utah State school record with 322 yards rushing, the 29th best rushing day in NCAA history. It was also tied for the second best rushing day in Big West Conference history behind Mike Pringle of Cal State Fullerton's 357 yards against New Mexico State in 1989 (also on Nov. 4).
Big West Rushing Highs 1. 357, Mike Pringle, CS Fullerton vs. N.M. State, 1989 2. 322, EMMETT WHITE vs. New Mexico State, 2000 2. 322, LeShon Johnson, No. Illinois vs. So. Illinois, 1993
* His 322 yards rushing marked the second 300-yard rushing game this year in the NCAA.
* His current 254.9 all-purpose yards per game average is on pace for the second-best average in NCAA history as Barry Sanders of Oklahoma State averaged 295.5 in 1988.
NCAA All-Purpose Yards Per Game Average 1. 295.5, Barry Sanders, Oklahoma State, 1988 *2. 254.9, EMMETT WHITE, UTAH STATE, 2000 3. 249.6, Ryan Benjamin, Pacific, 1991 * Current average through nine games
* Had a career-high 134 receiving yards on seven receptions to mark the first time in Utah State history a player had 100 yards rushing and 100 yards receiving in the same game.
* Became the first USU running back with 100 yards receiving in a game as well.
* Through nine games has produced 1,190 rushing yards to rank seventh on the USU season rushing list (needs 347 yards in the last two games to break the school record of 1,536 set by Demario Brown last year).
* Already owns school record for season all-purpose yards with 2,294 as Louie Giammona had old mark with 2,045 when he led the nation in 1975. His current 2,294 ranks sixth in Big West Conference history with two games remaining (record is 2,996 by Ryan Benjamin of Pacific in 1991).
* Is one of just four players in the top 50 of the NCAA all-Purpose Yardage list this season with at least 100 yards in each of the four categories that make up all-purpose yards (rushing, receiving, punt returns, and kickoff returns). The others are J.J. Moses of Iowa State, Deuce McCallister of Mississippi and Domanick Davis of LSU.
NCAA Statistical Rankings (as of Nov. 5) 1st in All-Purpose 8th in Rushing 13th in Kickoff Returns 18th in Scoring
NCAA All-Purpose Leaders (as of Nov. 5) 1. 254.9, EMMETT WHITE, UTAH STATE 2. 189.2, Robert Kilow, Arkansas State 3. 185.3, LaDainian Tomlinson, Texas Christian
NCAA Rushing Leaders (as of Nov. 5) 1. 181.0, LaDainian Tomlinson, Texas Christian 2. 178.1, Damien Anderson, Northwestern 3. 168.9, Deonce Whitaker, San Jose State 4. 158.5, Michael Bennett, Wisconsin 5. 146.7, Anthony Thomas, Michigan 6. 143.1, Ken Simonton, Oregon State 7. 137.6, Rudi Johnson, Auburn 8. 132.2, EMMETT WHITE, UTAH SATE 9. 131.1, Robert Sanford, Western Michigan 10. 130.6, Chester Taylor, Toledo
* Ranks in the top six of the Big West Conference in eight different statistical categories (1st in rushing, all-purpose and scoring, third in kickoff returns, fourth in punt returns and receptions, sixth total offense and receiving yards).
* Ranks second in the NCAA in receptions per game by a running back.
* Utah State has had 14 individual NCAA stiastical leaders in its history, including four all-purpose leaders. No Aggie has led the nation in a statistical category since Louie Giammona led the country in all-purpose yardage in 1975.
2000 * USAToday.com Big West Player-of-the-Week vs. North Texas, Arkansas State and New Mexico State. * Big West Conference Offensive Player of the Week vs. Arkansas State (shared) and vs. New Mexico State.
1999 * First-team all-Big West kick return specialist.
* The Aggies (5-4 overall, 4-0 Big West) will play at Boise State (7-2, 3-0) on Saturday, Nov. 11 with the winner more than likely earning the conference championship and the right to go to the Humanitarian Bowl.
* Utah State was picked to finish last in the six-team Big West Conference by the coaches and fourth by the media in the preseason.
USU SID Contact: Mike Strauss Work: (435) 797-1361 Home: (435) 755-0597 Fax: (435) 797-2615 E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Utah State on the Web www.UtahStateAggies.com
Emmett White Game-By-Game All-Purpose Yardage The Nation's Leader
Opponent Rush. Rec. PR KOR Total at Texas Tech 20-143 2-8 2-21 0-0 24-172 Southern Utah 10-25 2-5 4-28 1-46 17-104 at Arizona State 22-113 2-85 1-0 2-39 27-237 Utah 15-43 7-80 1-2 1-12 24-137 at Brigham Young 19-61 6-40 3-52 4-124 32-277 at North Texas 32-153 4-53 5-32 0-0 41-238 Idaho 29-128 2-84 1-5 2-45 34-262 Arkansas State 26-202 5-41 1-21 2-25 34-289 at New Mexico State 34-322 7-134 1-2 4-120 46-578 Totals 207-1190 37-530 19-163 16-411 279-2294 Average 132.2 58.9 18.1 45.6 254.9
Utah State Football Coach...
Utah State Football Coach’s Luncheons, sponsored by Aggies Unlimited, will begin in Logan...08/17/2016
Utah State’s Devante ...
Utah State senior running back Devante Mays and junior quarterback Kent Myers are among 41...08/17/2016
Utah State Football...
Utah State football held its 12th practice of fall camp on Tuesday on Merlin Olsen Field at...08/16/2016
Utah State Football Holds...
Monday was the 10th and 11th practices of fall camp leading up to the home- and season-opener...08/15/2016
Utah State’s Kent...
Utah State junior quarterback Kent Myers has been named to the 2016 Manning Award Watch List, it ...08/15/2016
Utah State Performs Well on...
Utah State’s football team held its first scrimmage of fall camp Saturday night on Merlin...08/13/2016
Utah State Football Holds...
Utah State’s football team took part in its first two-a-day session of fall camp on Friday ...08/12/2016
Utah State Football...
Utah State’s football team continued preparations for the 2016 season by holding its sixth ...08/11/2016
Official Aggie Gear