Utah State Men's Tennis Concludes Season With 4-0 Loss to New Mexico State At WAC Tournament, Friday
April 26, 2013
DENVER, Colo. -
Utah State men's tennis was taken down by New Mexico State, 4-0 in a battle of the Aggies in the quarterfinal round of the Western Athletic Conference tournament Friday in Denver, Colo. USU ended the season with a regular season record of 7-14 and a WAC record of 2-4.
New Mexico State swept the singles competition. In the No. 3 singles position, Marc Westgate defeated sophomore Matt Sweet in straight sets (6-3, 6-2). In the No. 5 spot, sophomore Marcus Fritz fell to Paul Denele in striaght sets (6-2, 6-0) and in the No. 6 spot junior Andrew Whiting was defeated by Patrick Pfister in straight sets (6-2, 6-0). Senior Sven Poslusny, junior Fredrik Peterson, and sophomore Curran Wearmouth were left on the courts in unfinished matches.
In doubles action Sweet and Poslusny fell to Luis Ramirez and Denele, 8-5, in the first position. In the third doubles spot Peterson and Wearmouth were defeated by Naveen Manivannan and Yannick Blank, 8-2.
Fans can follow Utah State Athletics, including both USU tennis teams, at http://twitter.com/
New Mexico State 4, Utah State 0
1. Luis Ramirez (NMSU) vs. Sven Poslusny (USU), 7-6, 2-2 UNF
2. Daniel Fernandez (NMSU) vs. Fredrik Petersen (USU), 6-2, 1-3 UNF
3. Marc Westgate (NMSU) def. Matt Sweet (USU), 6-3, 6-2
4. Germain Degardin (NMSU) vs. Curran Wearmouth (USU), 6-3, 4-3 UNF
5. Paul Denele (NMSU) def. Marcus Fritz (USU), 6-2, 6-3
6. Patrick Pfister (NMSU) def. Andrew Whiting (USU), 6-2, 6-0
1. Luis Ramirez/Paul Denele (NMSU) def. Sven Poslusny/Matt Sweet (USU), 8-5
2. Andrew Whiting/Marcus Fritz (USU) vs. Daniel Fernandez/Marc Westgate (NMSU), 7-5 UNF
3. Naveen Manivannan/Yannick Blank (NMSU) def. Fredrick Peterson/Curran Wearmouth (USU), 8-2