Utah State Women's Tennis Falls in Battle of the Aggies at New Mexico State
April 12, 2013
LAS CRUCES, N.M. -
An early lead with the doubles point was not enough to propel the Utah State women’s tennis team as it lost to Western Athletic Conference rival New Mexico State, 6-2, here Friday.
Sophomore McKenzie Davis and freshman Kallie Sperry got the afternoon started with an 8-6 win over Ginet Pinero and Ros-Polly Nguyen at the first doubles position. Jodie Williams and Denise Van Der Ben defeated sophomore Hillary Hays and senior Kristina Voytsekhovich at the second doubles position, 8-3, while senior Julie Tukuafu and freshman Ashley Stuhlmann swept NMSU’s Annemieke Witte and Mia Brandt at the third doubles position, 8-0, securing the point.
Moving to singles play, Davis again notched the only win for USU, defeating Williams at the No. 1 position (6-0, 6-1). Voysekhovich fell to Pinero (6-1, 6-2) at the No. 2 spot, while Tukuafu was defeated by Van Der ban (7-5, 6-4) at No. 3 singles. At the No. 4 spot, Sperry fell to Witte in a tight first set (7-6, 6-1) and Hays lost to Nguyen at the No. 5 position (6-2, 6-1). Stuhlmann wrapped the match up at the No. 6 spot with a straight-set loss to Brandt (6-2, 6-3).
With the loss, the Aggies fall to 5-11 overall and 1-5 in league play. The team will be back in action in Las Cruces against WAC foe Denver on Saturday at 10 a.m., MT.
New Mexico State 5, Utah State 2
1. McKenzie Davis (USU) def. Jodie Williams (NMSU) 6-0, 6-1
2. Ginet Pinero (NMSU) def. Kristina Voytsekhovich (USU) 6-1, 6-2
3. Denise Van Der Ben (NMSU) def. Julie Tukuafu (USU) 7-5, 6-4
4. Annemieke Witte (NMSU) def. Kallie Sperry (USU) 7-6, 6-1
5. Ros-Polly Nguyen (NMSU) def. Hillary Hays (USU) 6-2, 6-1
6. Mia Brandt (NMSU) def. Ashley Stuhlmann (USU) 6-2, 6-3